Re: problem with \partial repeated in second ending Requires change to m

From: Carrick Patterson
Subject: Re: problem with \partial repeated in second ending Requires change to manual
Date: Sat, 08 Apr 2006 12:37:40 -0600

If you look at it carefully, the same thing is happening in your example and the example in the manual: The partial measure at the end of the first ending is continued and completed in the first measure of the second (or fourth in the manual) ending. That's fine in the manual example, because the first measure of the fourth ending is itself a partial. But in your example the first measure of the second ending is a FULL measure. So to make that work you have to make the previous measure (which as far as Lilypond is concerned is the last measure of the first ending) a partial. Otherwise the left-over note from the previous measure (the eighth note A in your case) carries over into the second ending. Or at least that's what it looks like to me; perhaps a real expert will have a better insight.

If you think about it, that's logical. I mean, how the heck is Lilypond supposed to know which measures you want to be full and which ones partial unless you tell it?