Drum Kit Writing

From: Naomi McFadyen
Subject: Drum Kit Writing
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2006 06:47:45 -0700 (PDT)

Hi there.
I've been trying to write a drum kit part (this is for a brass band
arrangement I've done) and am having problems...

I was wondering if someone could please post up an example kit part for me
to have a look at?

I've pasted the code I've done so far below.... it took a while to get this
far... problem I'm mainly having, is getting it so that both voices in the
part go underneath each other without doubling up the rests... when putting
in the code for voice 2, with rests, it looks like I'm seeing double, which
is annoying... (voice 2 rests I've removed in the code below, but as you can
see, voice2 now positions itself right at the start of the staff).

If someone can explain 'in English' the most effective, easy way of doing
kit parts (with use of multi-rests etc), that would be great... and also
explain the separation of each bar as well.

I've played around with a couple of different ways of writing the kit part
and do have issues also with time signature (I want 12/8... but 4/4 has
overriden it, despight no \time 4/4 command being there...) the code below
is fine with this though.

Also, on occassion I somehow manage to make extra staffs, which are treble
clef and hold the info of the drum part I've inputted... it's odd, and hard
to explain, so hope you kinda understand where I'm coming from!

Must be the way you have to input the info.... but this code below is the
best I've managed to get, based on reading the manuel.

Could do with a hand in general in going in the right direction with this...
Cheers in advance... :)

Code:

%}

\header{
  title = \markup{ \override #' (font-size . 6) \bold "SAVING ALL MY LOVE
FOR YOU" }
  composer = \markup{ \override #' (font-size . -1) "Gerry Goffin & Michael
Masser" }
  arranger = \markup{ \override #' (font-size . -1) "arranged by Naomi
McFadyen" }
  instrument = \markup{ \override #' (font-size . 1.3) \bold \italic { Drum
Kit } }
  copyright = \markup{ \override #' (font-size . 0.5) \italic
"Copyright Universal/MCA Music Publishing | arrangement Copyright NaomiMusic
Publishing 2005" }
  tagline = \markup{ \left-align \override #' (font-size . 0.5) \italic
\bold "www.naomimusic.be" }
}

up = \drummode { \time 12/8 \partial 8 r8^\markup{ \override #' (font-size .
-0.5) \bold \hspace #0 "Andante Cantabile" }
\set Score.skipBars = ##t R1.*4 crashcymbal8 hihat8 hh8 hh8 hh8 hh8 hh8 hh8
hh8 hh8 hh8 hh8 }
down = \drummode { bassdrum4. snare4 bd8 bd4. sn4. }
\new DrumStaff <<
\new DrumVoice { \voiceOne \up }
\new DrumVoice { \voiceTwo \down }