Re: Helping with the documentation

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Helping with the documentation
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2006 16:41:57 -0700

On 22-Apr-06, at 7:03 AM, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:

Wouldn't it be cool to have excercises for each section?

Umm. I'm not really looking for more "cool" things to add to the docs, you know. :) Cool things should happen once the basic stuff is done.

Easy ones makes the "learning targets" of each part of the manual more explicit, and difficult ones make the manual more interesting for sophisticated users.

Sorry, I agree with Fiëé and David. I obviously didn't see the presentation you did, but my initial reaction is that exercises are useful teaching tools for people who don't want to learn the material. Teenagers don't see the use of trigonometry, so math textbooks include questions. But the only reason people read the LilyPond manual is because they have a specific goal in mind -- the readers already have their own "exercises" in mind. We already have vague "learning targets": the division of the manual sections into chapter (instrument-specific notation) and section (vocal music).

Once I've finished everything else on my list, it might be interesting to add half a dozen questions in their own section, kind-of like a "how to use this manual" document -- although we already have one of those. But I really doubt that adding exercises to every section would be worth the effort.

Cheers,
- Graham