Re: Update on changing header fonts

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: Update on changing header fonts
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 23:10:15 +0200

Michael J Millett schreef:
I wanted to post an update of my attempt at changing the fonts in the headers, since it might be helpful to other non-programmers like myself. It's been a real education!

Writing this code into the header part of an LP file, then running it in LP, produced a long list of fonts that are available to LP:

#(ly:font-config-display-fonts)

Here is a short example of what it looked like:

family AppleGothic
 AppleGothic:style=Regular
family Osaka
 Osaka:style=Regular-Mono
family Century Schoolbook L
 Century Schoolbook L:style=Bold
family Century Schoolbook L
 Century Schoolbook L:style=Italic
family Helvetica CY
Helvetica CY:style=Plain,Simple,Standard,Normale,Standaard,Normal,Texto com˙n,Almindelig,Texto Normal

Not all the fonts on my system got listed or seem to be available. I don't know why that is or what to do about it; That will have to be a project for later. The font I really wanted to use, Goudy, was not one that was listed as being available.

they have to be available to fontconfig, which has its configuration inside the .app bundle. By default it includes the following directories

  /Library/Fonts/
  /System/Library/Fonts/
  ~/.fonts/

where is your Goudy installed?

Cutting and pasting from the list into an LP file miraculously produced a font change. The name from the list that LP wanted was the word after "family". Here is the code for an absurd but working example:

\header {
title = \markup { \override #'(font-name . "F u t u r a ") "FEUILLET D'ALBUM"} composer = \markup { \override #'(font-name . "A m e r i c a n T y p e w r i t e r ") "JS Bach" } }

Here is the oddity: Notice that in the font names, a space exists between each later. I would never have guessed this as a possibility.

It should also work without the spaces.

LilyPond Software Design
 -- Code for Music Notation
http://www.lilypond-design.com