Fwd: problem with line breaking with polyrhythm

From: Libero Mureddu
Subject: Fwd: problem with line breaking with polyrhythm
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 16:02:01 +0300

sorry, forgot to cc to mailing list.
libero

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Libero Mureddu < address@hidden>
Date: Sep 19, 2006 12:56 AM
Subject: Re: problem with line breaking with polyrhythm
To: Mats Bengtsson <address@hidden>

On 9/18/06, Mats Bengtsson < address@hidden > wrote:
Libero Mureddu wrote:

> Hi,
> I've also found this quite interesting: lily can accept something like
> this (see below), that is quite amazing compared the amount of tweaks
> that are necessary to obtain the same in other software (if my memory
> is good!), but still it cannot make a line break.
>
> But what I would like to have is a line break based not necessarely on
> barlines but on specific moments in time.

Is it really good typesetting practice to have a line break in the
middle of the duration of a note? To me it seems like a very good
method to confuse the poor musicians. ;-)

Hi Mats,
Well, maybe I should have said that it is a piece for the yamaha disklavier and a pianist, so,  I need this to typeset the computer driven part (that is very complex) and I cannot put everything on one line.

Since the main goal of LilyPond is to support typesetting of
music from 19th century, the current "limitation" does make
sense.

Ok, but Lilypond is the software that probably supports more features useful for contemporary music than any other software that I know (except Score and ENP). Why those features are implemented? Sorry, maybe there was a misunderstanding: I don't consider lilypond "limitated" at all, it's exactly the opposite.
And I showed lilypond to many composers and they were all amazed.

On the other hand, you don't have to consider modern music to
find examples where such practice was used.

But there are some cases in which one has to write that way, believe me! Anyway, one should just try to reproduce the examples in the "Contemporary notation" part of the manual with Sibelius or Finale to understand what I mean. My only question was how to make possible to break a line or a page using those lilypond features.

Best regards,

Libero

In the baroque
period, it was fairly common to have dotted notes that crossed
bar lines and the dot was then often typeset to the right of the
bar line. I can promise you that it's extremely confusing the first
time you see it, but anyway not so hard to get used to.

   /Mats