Re: Harp fingering and lever

From: Walter Hofmeister
Subject: Re: Harp fingering and lever
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2006 15:52:12 -0600

On 11/19/06 9:17 AM, "Helge Kruse" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hello,
> I need for some lever harp notes fingering instructions. The result should
> look similar to this http://dj1na.gmxhome.de/lever_and_fingering.JPG
>
> While finger numbers can be added with lilypond I need also some more or less
> diagonal brackets above or below the notes. These brackets show what fingers
> shall be place simultanously at the strings. How can I do this with lilypond?
>
> For lever harps I have lever instructions. The lever changes the string pitch
> by a semitone. This can done during the piece too. The picture shows it before
> the first note (A flat is changed to A in two octaves). Has anybody any idea
> how to create this additional notes? An alternative would be the note name
> followed by the accidental at an arbitrary pitch. Any suggestions?
>
> Regards,
> Helge

Hi Helge,
    I have done this for my wife who plays lever harp. See section 8.5.6
Analysis brackets in the manual, this can be made to work for the placing of
the fingers.
    The alterations indicated at the beginning could be specified with the
Ambitus which is used in vocal music to define a vocal range. I have not
used this feature personally.
    Also you can make indications during the piece to indicate lever flips
with markups.
    So far Lilypond seems to have the most capabilities to accommodate the
needs of the lever harp player that I have seen so far. Good luck.

Walter Hofmeister