Re: ps and pdf question

From: Tim Reeves
Subject: Re: ps and pdf question
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 11:01:45 -0800

Tom wrote:

. . . a somewhat unrelated question: In the creation of a PDF output
file, LilyPond creates an intermediate PostScript file.  That
PostScript file is sometimes viewable using gv and sometimes it gives
some errors.  But it never prints on any printer I tried it on
(several HP models, Gestetner/Ricoh, Xerox) - always either no pages
at all, or some error message about some fonts.  Is the PostScript
output at all meant to be publishable/printable?  It would be
convenient if for printing the sheets I could just print the
PostScript output to the printer directly, instead of having to go
through the PDF.

My question is: can one dispense with the Postscript file altogether? I just use the pdf and always delete the ps file.
Is there a way to save a step and processing time by just not producing the ps file in the first place?

PS Thanks for a great application. In a fairly short time I am able to enter music faster with LP than with any of the graphical software I've tried.
That it's more flexible and prettier goes without saying.

Tim Reeves