Re: ps and pdf question

From: Laura Conrad
Subject: Re: ps and pdf question
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 17:42:46 -0500

    >> My question is: can one dispense with the Postscript file
    >> altogether? I just use the pdf and always delete the ps file.
    >> Is there a way to save a step and processing time by just not
    >> producing the ps file in the first place?

    Han-Wen> No, the PDF is produced from the PS. The PS uses an
    Han-Wen> embedded CFF font that is binary data.  You'd have to
    Han-Wen> check out the Postscript standard to see what printers
    Han-Wen> can handle this.

But if we aren't going to consider it a bug when the postscript file
doesn't print, shouldn't we treat it as a temporary file and delete it
for the user instead of leaving it there?  I used to usually print the
postscript files, and I still forget and try to do it sometimes, and
it doesn't work with my current printer.

(617) 661-8097  fax: (501) 641-5011
233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139