Re: Fermata on final double bar

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Fermata on final double bar
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 10:30:46 +0100

One possible trick is to move the mark engraver from the score level to each
stave and then include the ordinary rehearsal marks as well as the fermata above the system only in the top stave of the score and the downwards fermata only in
the bottom stave of the score. Example:

\version "2.10.0"
\layout{
 \context{
   \Staff
   \consists Mark_engraver
 }
 \context{
   \Score
   \remove Mark_engraver

\new StaffGroup <<
 \new Staff {
   c1
\once \override Score.RehearsalMark #'break-visibility = #begin-of-line-invisible
   \mark \fermataMarkup
 }
 \new Staff { c1 }
 \new Staff {
   c1
\once \override Score.RehearsalMark #'break-visibility = #begin-of-line-invisible
   \override Staff.RehearsalMark #'direction = #DOWN
   \mark \markup { \musicglyph #"scripts.dfermata" }
 }

  /Mats

Thomas Frank wrote:
Fermatas over and under the last bar in a (conductors-) score have kind of the opposite meaning of 'attacca' in the scores where I have seen it. At least it marks the end of a logical musical theme/temper, typically at the end of a movement.

My solution looks like this:

endFermata =
#(define-music-function (parser location align)
                        (number?)
    #{
        \once \override Score.RehearsalMark #'extra-offset = #(cons $align 0)
\once \override Score.RehearsalMark #'break-visibility = #begin-of-line-invisible
        \once \override Score.RehearsalMark #'X-extent = #'(0 . 0)
        \mark \fermataMarkup
    #})

and then say '\endFermata #0.5' after the last bar. The number defines an x-shift to place it properly over the last bar-line.

Sad enough, it seems, there is no way to put this over AND under the last bar, because you can not place more than one mark-command at the same position.
(right??)

hope this helps
Thomas

I am trying to typeset a piece of music that has a fermata above and below
the final double barline.  I have come across the \mark command in the
manual, but am having difficulty getting it to work when there are no notes
after it. Does anyone have any hints on how to typeset this?  Does anyone
have any idea what this means musically, i.e. maybe I'll just typeset the
fermata over the final note!

Thanks in advance
Jonathan