Re: problems with german umlauts

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: problems with german umlauts
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 22:03:50 +0100

You are mistaken. ASCII only defines character codes up to 127, see for example http://www.asciitable.com/.
What your table shows is probably Latin1 (ISO 8859-1).

  /Mats

Quoting Jonathan Henkelman <address@hidden>:

Mats Bengtsson <mats.bengtsson <at> ee.kth.se> writes:

If you search the mailing list archives from the time before we introduced
unicode support, you will be surprised how many questions there are related
to Russian or Hebrew or Mandarin or ...

   /Mats

It wasn't intended to be a stupid question. I'm all over unicode for languages
that use other character sets - cyrillic, hebrew, asian etc.  I was just
surprised at how difficult it was to put an umlaut on a u for a german peice I
was typesetting.

Perhaps the problem lies in the documentation.  It suggests that if you want
to use "non-ascii" characters you have to save the document as unicode - fair
enough. (In fact it implies you can use any 8-bit ascii pg. 112, last
paragrph, PDF version 2.10.0)  But I wanted to use ascii 252 (presumably
similar to David in the original post) and I just inserted it into my
document - and it compiled to a space.  Here I am trying to use an ascii
character and hence expect not to have to do anything special, but would I
still have to save it as unicode?  When I used \char, I had to find the tweak
to get rid of the spaces before and after that character...

Because most accented European characters can not be accessed within
ascii

My ascii table shows all French, Norwegian, Danish characters as well as most
spanish, and german (can't profess to be an expert there) see characters 191-
255 (xBF - xff).  Are these accessable in a non-unicode document?

Thanks,