Re: get an accidental to not print

From: Trevor Bača
Subject: Re: get an accidental to not print
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 09:54:13 -0600

On 2/12/07, Jonathan Henkelman <address@hidden> wrote:
> > %%% BEGIN %%%
> >
> > \new Staff {
> >   \once \override Accidental #'transparent = ##t
> >   cis'2
> > }
> >
> > %%% END %%%

> If you instead use
> \once \override Accidental #'stencil = ##f
> then the invisible accidental will not even take any space.
>
>    /Mats

For the record. I understand both of Trevors examples, but looking through the
programmers ref to try and understand Mats' fix...  'stencil' is listed of
type "unknown" and the doc says it represents the "symbol to print". How does
passing it false result in a symbol not being printed?  Should the doc be
updated to say something like: "The symbol to print, or don't print if false"?

I think there's something of a convention that quite a few of the
different settings take false as a type of "nullification". You can
set outside-staff-priority, for example, to a number to cause some
graphic element to stack closer to or farther away from the staff. But
if you set ...

 \override Whatever #'outside-staff-priority = ##f

... then you're basically saying to the optimized vertical spacing
algorithm "hey, just don't even consider the Whatever grob when you do
the vertical stuff."

Likewise, setting Whatever #'stencil = ##f says to the layout engine
"just don't draw the Whatever grob at all."

Not sure where the convention about numeric (and other) parameters
taking ##f appears in the docs, but it's a good convention to know.

--
Trevor Bača