Re: accidental avoid-slur and max-stretch

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: accidental avoid-slur and max-stretch
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 11:29:28 +0200

Neil Thornock wrote:
Okay, I'm not getting something about this.

The output for this displays slurs clashing with accidentals. I've seen this kind of collision before - but is there no way to avoid it automatically? I thought avoid-slur would make some difference.

The default value of avoid-slur for Accidental objects is already #'inside, so your setting doesn't make any change. However, as you can see in the following example, it seems that LilyPond already tries to place the slur as much as possible
outside the accidentals, compared to if you change the setting.
My guess is that there are other constraints as well that are taken into account so the resulting layout is a compromise between avoiding the collisions completely and still providing a reasonably beautiful slur shape. In a hand engraved score, the right end of the slur is probably moved upwards to help solving the problem,
but I don't know if LilyPond is clever enough to try that option.

\layout {ragged-right = ##t}

\relative c' {
c( cis'') c,,( cis''!)
\override Accidental #'avoid-slur = #'around
c,,( cis'') c,,( cis''!)
}

\version "2.11.28"

%%%%%
\layout {ragged-right = ##t}

\relative c' {
\override Accidental #'avoid-slur = #'inside
c( cis'') c,,( cis''!)}

\version "2.11.28"
%%%%%

What am I doing wrong?  Or do I just have to manually tweak things?

Also, I'm at my wits end trying to place #'max-stretch = #0 somewhere that it has any effect. I assumed something like

\override Score.VerticalAlignment #'max-stretch = #0

would work, but I can't figure it out.
See http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2007-02/msg00408.html
Some properties are only read when an object is created, so that's probably
why you have to make the setting in the default definition of the Score context.

  /Mats