Re: Smaller PDF, shrinking away largeness

From: Jay Ricketts
Subject: Re: Smaller PDF, shrinking away largeness
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 11:22:01 -0500

Nope, didn't turn off point-n-click.

I'll try it - if the numbers are still "interesting", I'll post back.

daf

On Dec 14, 2007 11:11 AM, Mats Bengtsson <address@hidden> wrote:
It would be interesting if you could investigate what has been "removed".
Do the new files still contain the same fonts? Are they embedded the same
way?

I really hope you turned off point-and-click in LilyPond, otherwise the
comparison is completely uninteresting.

  /Mats

daf wrote:
> In the interim, PDFCreator is a free win utility and does a great job of
> stripping the extra bytes away: simply install, select PDFCreator as your
> printer and print.  The resulting output can be 80% smaller, or more.
>
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfcreator/
>
> By way of example, I downloaded the mutopiaproject.org version of BWV853b,
> bumped up the global font size to 16, and expanded it to 5 pages.  The
> LP-generated PDF was 528K.  The PDFCreator version was 90K.  I did not
> notice any degradation in print quality, but I tend not to notice stuff like
> that anyhow.  And YMMV.  But in the interim, the time it takes to do the
> extra print step should pay off handsomely for your dialup email recipients.
>
> Best,
>
> Jay

> Laura Conrad added:
>
>>> My users complain about this too.
>>>

>> For me, the bottleneck is email transmission, where 130K vs 1300K is
>> still significant (approximations for current project).

       Mats Bengtsson
       Signal Processing
       Signals, Sensors and Systems
       Royal Institute of Technology