Volunteering with LilyPond

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Volunteering with LilyPond
Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2008 21:49:45 -0800

Thanks to everybody who expressed an interest helping lilypond!
I've discussed specifics with many of you, but I'm not certain
that I managed to contact everybody.  If your email slipped
through the cracks, sorry, and please send it again!

If at all possible I prefer to let volunteers choose their own
jobs; please consult the list below.  If you think you can do
something, let me know!  If you'd like to change your job or if
I've written something down incorrectly, please let me know.

I think the priority should be filling ongoing jobs, so those are
listed first.  Temporary stuff (ie GDP work) is at the bottom of
this email.

BUGS: all filled

Bug Meister: Valentin
Regtest checkers: Stan Sanderson, Garrett Fitzgerald, Alexander
  Deubelbeiss

MAILIST SUPPORT: can always use more help :)

LilyPond-user secretary: Calvin Mitcham, more???
% reply to simple queries, direct bug reports to the bug reporting
% page and the bug mailist:
%   http://lilypond.org/web/devel/participating/bugs

LSR adder: ???
% if there's some nice lilypond code, add it to LSR

I know that a lot of people answer questions, but we need more
people doing this.  Many simple questions are being answered by
project members; I *really* want those questions to be handled by
other people so that the more advanced users can do more advanced
tasks.  Valentin is a perfect example of this: he's taking over my
Bug Meister duties, so I'd rather not have him replying to "help
ur program is broken. where are teh buttons 2 click on" or "how do
you draw ties" (ie really simple RTFM questions).

I'm hoping that by asking for official volunteers, we can get more
people helping with these tasks.

Grand Documentation Project
http://web.uvic.ca/~gperciva/

Rewriters: ???
% people working on the actual content of the docs -- checking
% that the docs are correct and complete, looking for mistakes in
% the content, etc.

% Some people who volunteered to do simple formatting jobs are now
% working on rewriting as well (no, I haven't forgotten about
% you!).  But we currently have __NO__ helpers who are confident,
% advanced, lilypond users.  To put it bluntly, this sucks.

Formatters: Alard, Jay, Ralph, more???
% edit the texinfo files for presentation (plus any content you
% feel comfortable doing)
%
% this is easy for anybody who knows HTML or any programming
% language.

Headwords: Trevor Baca
Music Glossary: Kurt Kroon
Learning Manual: Trevor Daniels

Checking the Learning Manual: Calvin Mitcham, more???
% This task is *ideal* for people who want to help, but aren't
% very confident about their lilypond knowledge.  Look at the GDP
% docs, and read the new Learning Manual chapters 2, 3, and most
% of chapter.  Send any questions or remarks to lilypond-user or
% to Trevor Daniels privately
%
% The Learning Manual is aimed at new users, so the less you know
% about lilypond, the better for this task!  :)
%
% Also, after doing this task, you'll have a much better idea of
% what work needs doing in the rest of the manual.

LSR adding / editing: ???
% we have about 30 hours of mundane web browsing / lilypond
% snippet editing  to do.  Again, Valentin could do this, but I'd
% rather have one person who can do this for him.
%
% Primary job: add certain snippets from the manual into LSR.
% Secondary job: small editing of snippets.  Like if a snippet
% doesn't have any indentation, add the indentation.

Cheers,
- Graham