This works, but I don't understand why

From: James Wilkinson
Subject: This works, but I don't understand why
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 17:23:25 -0500

The d flat has both an accent and a staccato mark over it. Lilypond wants to put he accent on top of the staccato. I wanted the staccato on top of the accent. Here are four tries. Two of them work; two of them don't. (no surprise there) Two seem to be according to the manual page 96; two don't. That's a surprise.

\once \override Script #'script-priority = #500    %%works but shouldn't
df4->-.

\once \override Script #'script-priority = #-500    %%doesn't work but should
df4->-.

\once \override Script #'script-priority = #500    %%works and should
df4-.->

\once \override Script #'script-priority = #-500 %%doesn't work and shouldn't
df4-.->

Here are my assumptions; some of them must be wrong:

I want the staccato to have low priority so it will be outside the accent.

-> and -. are both Scripts, so I shouldn't mess with TextScript here.

500 is low priority; -500 is high priority.

Because of the once, the priority change will apply to the first script it comes to, i.e. the accent in the first two examples and the staccato in the second two. The second script will retain its normal priority (which I don't know the value of, but which I think has an absolute value less than 500).

My reading of the manual says that, in the order of the examples, the accent will be low (500), high (-500), high (because the staccato is low at 500), low (because the staccato is high at -500).

The results I'm getting tell me that the override is always applied to the staccato, no matter whether it comes before or after the accent, i.e. the accent is high, low, high, low.

Can someone clarify this for me?     thanks

Jimmy Wilkinson            | Professor Emeritus of Computer Science
address@hidden        | The College of Charleston
(843) 953-8160             | Charleston      SC        29424
http://www.cs.cofc.edu/~jimmy

If there is one word to describe me, that word would have to be "profectionist".