Re: GDP glossary question: complex meters

From: Kurt Kroon
Subject: Re: GDP glossary question: complex meters
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 07:53:03 -0800

On 2/26/08 5:39 AM, "Palmer, Ralph" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi, Kurt -
>
> When I brought up "my" definition, it certainly was not intended to be
> exclusive (as in the only definition).

Nor did I perceive it that way.

> I was trying to point out that there was an alternative meaning to polymeter.

Certainly ...

> I have no easy answer to  the problem(s), especially since I think polymeter
> or complex meter can refer to more than time signatures - either initial or
> subsequent.

... which is why I asked the question.

> Are the layered patterns in some West African drumming considered to be
> polymeter, or is that polyrhythm?

That's polyrhythm ... which may simply be polymeter writ small, at the beat
instead of the measure.

> I think western music's recent and rapid exposure to a lot of different
> rhythmic structures, notations, and possibilities have helped create a
> confusing set of terminologies whose definitions haven't settled down yet.

Just wait until I finish the section on proportions (the Renaissance one,
not the usual LilyPond one) -- reading about "time signatures" of 33/9
(triplasuperbipartientetertias) or 51/15 (triplasuperbipartientequintas)
does wonders to expand the mind.

The terminology seems fairly settled to me, but with a lot of redundancy.  I
wanted to remove some of that redundancy from a framework that would be
obvious to the casual musician-observer.

BUT, more importantly, I did NOT intend for this framework to be a
straitjacket.  Folks who specialize in the tals you mentioned in your last
email on the subject will continue to discuss them with *their* terms ...
but when I ask them to explain it to me (a non-Indian), they can say "Oh,
it's a regular sequential polymeter that groups beats in groups of 3+2+ ...
etc."

I hope this clarification helps.

Regards,
Kurt