Re: Additive time signatures

From: Joseph Wakeling
Subject: Re: Additive time signatures
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 16:32:49 +0000

Mats Bengtsson wrote:
> Search for "time signature note" in the mailing list archives, and you will
> find, for example
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2006-04/msg00123.html

That's cool.  I was wondering more if it was possible for that to be a
generally-set preference, along the lines of "\set Staff.timeSignature
#'style = note" (that's pseudo code, obviously:-), and also how complex
the resulting note could be: for example, imagine a time signature along
the lines of (again, in pseudo-notation),

\time 3/(4.~ 4)

(Basically this is a rather complicated way of writing a 15/8 time
signature subdivided into 3 beats of 5 eighth notes.)

I don't see any reason _in principle_ why it should be impossible to
deal with such a time signature, as after all Lilypond is already
perfectly capable of dealing with weird-but-logical time signatures like
7/10.