Re: GDP: What term do you use?

From: Damian leGassick
Subject: Re: GDP: What term do you use?
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 20:03:51 +0000

semantically i completely disagree... ;--)

in both cases the written pitches ARE transposed (sound) down an octave, as explicitly indicated by the 8_clef in the version, and the 8vb indication in the second. indeed, the whole raison d'etre of those indications is to show that the displayed pitch is transposed an octave lower.

in the case of a 'transposing at the octave' instrument such as piccolo or double bass, the clef change or 8va/b sign is implied and simply omitted as a convenience.

agreed the sounding pitch in each case is the same, but this is a notational, not a sounding issue.