Re: GDP: What term do you use?

From: Tim Reeves
Subject: Re: GDP: What term do you use?
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 16:43:35 -0800

> in the case of a 'transposing at the octave' instrument such as
> piccolo or double bass,
> the clef change or 8va/b sign is implied and simply omitted as a
> convenience.

Aside: we (all) should immediately stop doing that -- we should start
writing ALL instruments with "transposed clefs", to be clear.  ;-)

I'd second that. As a horn player, I sometimes have to play bass clef parts which were written an octave lower than intended pitch (e.g. common in Beethoven's time, but not today), and it can be confusing figuring out what was meant.
I didn't know bass and piccolo had to do the same thing at times.

Tim Reeves