Re: GDP glossary question: complex meters

From: Kurt Kroon
Subject: Re: GDP glossary question: complex meters
Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 00:03:29 -0800

On 2008/02/28 11:34 PM, "Anh Hai Trinh" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Ok I was being lazy. The Harvard dict 4th ed. defines
>
>> Polymeter. The simultaneous use of two or more meters.
>
> and there you have it. The term "sequential polymeter" is a contradiction.

The *New* Harvard Dictionary of Music, 2nd edition, continues the definition
with "The term is sometimes applied, however, to the successive use of
different meters in one or more parts."

So there *you* have it.

>>> * compound time sig -- this is a well established term refering to meter
>>> such as 6/8, 9/8, 6/4, etc. in contrast to simple meters such as 3/8, 3/4,
>>> etc.
>
> I just wanted to point out here that coumpond time signature is also another
> well-established term that means something other than what was meant in the
> doc.

You have mistaken "meter" for "time signature". Again, quoting the New
Harvard Dictionary:

"Meter: The pattern in which a steady succession of rhythmical pulses is
organized ..."

"Time signature: the sign placed at the beginning of a composition to
indicate its meter."

Still, I intend to delete "compound time" from the Glossary for this reason.
Of course, we'll have to rename snippet 261 in the LSR.