Re: StaffSymbol: behaviour of ledger-line-thickness

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: StaffSymbol: behaviour of ledger-line-thickness
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 18:32:51 +0200

Am Montag, 31. März 2008 schrieb till Rettig:
> Hi,
> could somebody explain me how ledger-line-thickness behaves? The IR states
> that it should be a pair:
>
> "ledger-line-thickness (pair of numbers)
>     The thickness of ledger lines. It is the sum of 2 numbers: The first is
> the factor for line thickness, and the second for staff space. Both
> contributions are added. "
>
> But I cannot get the staff space bigger (the second number), instead the
> first number influences the thickness of the ledger line a bit, the second
> quite much, that is it becomes so heavy that the spaces almost disappear.

Yes, because they use different units:
-) The first one is a multiplier for the default thickness (quite small, ~
staff-space/10 )
-) The second one is an explicit width (in staff spaces, i.e. the default
distance between two staff lines or ledger lines)

The final distance is then:
( thickness * line-thickness * #1 ) + #2

Since the default thickness is quite small, of course the first number
influences the width only a little bit, while the second (measured in
different units!) increases it a lot.
Actually, the following two settings produce roughly the same (i.e. ledger
lines so thick that they touch each other:

\override StaffSymbol #'ledger-line-thickness = #'( 10 . 0 )
\override StaffSymbol #'ledger-line-thickness = #'( 0 . 1 )

And, yes, even Han-Wen agrees that this is confusing. See his comment in
lily/staff-symbol.cc:
  /*
    For raggedright without ragged staves, simply set width to the linewidth.
    (ok -- lousy UI, since width is in staff spaces)
    --hwn.
  */

> the second
> quite much, that is it becomes so heavy that the spaces almost disappear.
> Please compare the example:

Things work as expected: The default line width is quite small and the first
number is a multiplier for the default line width. The second one gives an
additional width in staff space (i.e. the distance between each of the five
lines of a standard staff).

>   \override StaffSymbol #' ledger-line-thickness  = #' ( 1 . .1 )

This uses the default line width + 1/10 of the staff space = 1/5 staff space

>   \override StaffSymbol #' ledger-line-thickness = #' ( .1 . 1 )

This decreases the line with to 1/10 of its default (1/100 staff space!), but
adds a full staff space (=distance between two ledger lines!), so of course
all ledger lines touch each other.

Cheers,
Reinhold