Re: Old LilyPond versions

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: Old LilyPond versions
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2008 12:08:17 -0300

2008/4/8, Laura Conrad <address@hidden>:

>     Graham> - a certain grumpy doc writer points out that if you read the
>     Graham>   instructions in
>     Graham>   LM 5.1 Suggestions for writing LilyPond files
>     Graham>   then you can avoid almost all these problems.
>
>  The grumpy doc writer has said many times that he knows nothing about
>  vocal music.  None of the suggestions in 5.1 is going to change the
>  fact that manual conversion is necessary for all vocal music
>  transcribed before 2.4.

It's probably not in the manual, but if you want to be double-plus
sure that you don't get hit by this again, I recommend to use explicit
durations for lyrics, like

  \lyricmode { to4 re8. a16 dor4 ... }

and use associatedVoice for the melisma/notehead alignment.

The current solution (with lyricsto) is much less of a hack than what
we used to have, but it is still a hack.