Re: Old LilyPond versions

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Old LilyPond versions
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2008 13:15:54 +0200

Graham Percival wrote:
On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 00:21:36 +0200
Mats Bengtsson <address@hidden> wrote:

Quoting Graham Percival <address@hidden>:
2)  it would of course be nice to automate this.  At the moment, I
can't see why this would take more than five hours.  Maybe 15
hours if the person had never touched python before.
See
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-lilypond/2007-12/msg00156.html
I don't think the problem is that easy, especially since the music
expression may in the general case contain an arbitrarily deep
nesting of {} and <<>>, which means that you cannot use regular
expressions.

I'm not really comfortable with regular expressions, so I wasn't
going to suggest this anyway.  :)   As for nesting, we could
simply count the number of { } and << >> to figure out when the
expression is over.
I actually implemented such a solution in convert-ly in the conversion rules for version 1.9.0, to be able to handle the conversion of the old markup syntax that used nested parentheses (like Scheme),
so this might be useful as a source of inspiration.

Note that what you propose is a proper solution of Issue 518 in the bug tracker.

  /Mats