question about multiple choir staff's in one system

From: Yvan Vander Sanden
Subject: question about multiple choir staff's in one system
Date: Sat, 17 May 2008 22:12:25 +0200

Hi,

i am new at using Lilypond and using jEdit with the lilypondtool to start working on a score. Basicly things are working very good, but I am trying to work out brackets and braces. I first tried something like this, but that does not work:

\score {
 \new ChoirStaff <<
  \staffSoprano
  \staffAlto
  \staffTenor
  \staffBass

 \new ChoirStaff <<
  \staffSopranoII
  \staffAltoII
  \staffTenorII
  \staffBassII

 \new ChoirStaff <<
  \staffSopranoIII
  \staffAltoIII
  \staffTenorIII
  \staffBassIII

 }

But, In the end I just tried to nest them, because everything else failed, like this:

\score {
 \new ChoirStaff <<
  \staffSoprano
  \staffAlto
  \staffTenor
  \staffBass
  \new ChoirStaff <<
    \staffSopranoII
    \staffAltoII
    \staffTenorII
    \staffBassII
    \new ChoirStaff <<
      \staffSopranoIII
      \staffAltoIII
      \staffTenorIII
      \staffBassIII

 }

And yes, it worked... but I don't understand why this is correct. The other way seems much more logical. Since i always learn much faster if I know WHY something has to be done in a particular way, I'd love it if someone can explain this to me.

Regards,

yvan vander sanden