Re: best way to code music with instrument-switch

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: best way to code music with instrument-switch
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2008 11:26:46 -0400

Hi Paul,

In fact I don't normally use a \global key change just \global timing and dynamics.

Hmmm... unfortunately, that makes for (slightly) more work and (slightly) less-maintainable code. However, it does give me an idea: perhaps one could use \tag in the \global section to control key signature presentation on a per-instrument basis.

In any case, we should really -- as a community -- come up with a set of "best practices" (or at least "guidelines"), since this is a situation that is both common and somewhat complicated to handle in Lilypond.

One starting place might be an additional command for
transposing from one instrument to another.

A year or so ago, I sponsored a feature which was related to this... it might help us here.
Han-Wen: what ever became of the whole instrumentSwitch sponsorship?

Cheers,
Kieren.