Re: Comments on Learning Manual 3 -- Fundamental concepts

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Comments on Learning Manual 3 -- Fundamental concepts
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 10:45:12 +0200

Robin Bannister wrote:
Robin Bannister wrote
A:   21 hits for "\context Staff"
B:   14 hits for "\context { \Staff"

I think I get it now. It must be that "\context" is overloaded, does two quite different things. Upon meeting a "\context" you must categorise it as A or B. The uninitiated attach no particular significance to the decisive "{" or, in my case, the word "block". Especially when they're still chewing over \context vs.\new.
The main difference isn't even shown in the list above, namely that A: happens within a music expression (i.e. at places where you also can have ordinary note names), whereas B: only happens within a \layout{...} block.

    /Mats