Re: emacs question

From: James E. Bailey
Subject: Re: emacs question
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2008 09:31:09 +0200

On 09.09.2008, at 02:58, Paul Scott wrote:
You mean you use Terminal and not XDarwin?
I'm assuming you mean X11, but yes, I have a difficult time remembering the keyboard commands for a normal emacs session. I think I would go crazy if I tried to remember them for the GUI version. At least, I think you're talking about carbon emacs. Besides, setting up my environment so that carbon emacs knows where my $PATH is is too much work.

I run Emacs from XDarwin (actually as a background task). After saving
my changes I alt-tab to another Xterm where I run my Lily commands
(usually from up-arrow).  I have a background gv running for each part
or score I am working which I can also atl-tab to.  I never use Emacs
commands like compile.  I have discovered that crtl-L will refresh an
instance of gv.
See, I was trying to reduce the number of programs I have to use. Currently, I run gnu screen, and I open nano, bash and tail. I edit my files in nano, run lilypond on them in bash, and if there are errors, I have them redirected to a file which I constantly monitor with tail. In 10.5, files are reloaded when there are changes made to them, so just switching to preview shows me the updated file. If I could get the whole emacs thing working better, then once I figure out how emacs works, I could scrap the whole screen thing altogether.

To save time I also compile to PS (--ps).
Ha! to reduce clutter, I have lilypond clean up ps files.

I do the same thing on my Linus box.

Paul Scott