Re: Notation Reference 1.8 "Text" : ready for review

From: fiëé visuëlle
Subject: Re: Notation Reference 1.8 "Text" : ready for review
Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2008 21:00:59 +0200

Am 2008-10-05 um 17:46 schrieb Valentin Villenave:

"LaTeX (pronounced /ˈleɪtɛx/ or /ˈleɪtɛk/) is a document markup
language and document preparation system"

click on "document preparation system": it redirects to
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Word_processor

That being said, if you do not regard LaTeX as a word processor, I can
understand while you don't want me to call LilyPond a word processor.

"We the TeX people" tell everyone, "Word is about words, TeX is about text", so "we" wouldn't call any TeX system a word processor. Whoever caused that redirection in Wikipedia was a renegade or at least no real believer.

{
\writeSomeNote \addSomeArticulations
\quoteARandomInstrument \RestABit
\putCoolSoloHere
}
(ok, now I actually want to write a piece like that.  This is the
first time I've ever been tempted to write a Cage-like piece.  :)

Really? I thought you had already been working on Strasheela :-)

While you are at it, please add
\createNumberOneHit \becomeRichAndFamous

You don't need to quote stuff that you've done.  I know that I'm
right.  I really don't need the ego boost of having you tell me.  :)
We all need ego boosts every now and then: look, even I always get
plenty from you :-)

Please explain to a non-native speaker: Is "boost" the same as "blast"?

\smaller \bigger may sound better, but we already have

\teeny \tiny \small \large \huge  markup commands, not

\teeny \tiny \small \big \huge.

But shouldn't teen-y markup look like, say, SMS?

Using a specific syntax, text blocks can be spread over multiple
pages, making it possible to print text documents or books (and
therefore to use LilyPond as a word processor). This syntax is
described in Multi-page markup.

with

Separate text blocks can be spread over multiple pages,
making it possible to print text documents or books entirely
within LilyPond.  This feature, and the specific syntax it
requires, are described in @ref{Multi-page markup}.

At last something serious:
This replacement is a good one (even if you could leave out that last "specific") - please don't start with a subordinate clause if you can avoid it.
Simple sentences are much better comprehensible for non-native speakers.

Greetlings from Lake Constance
---
fiëé visuëlle
Henning Hraban Ramm