Re: Notation Reference 1.8 "Text" : ready for review

From: Carl D. Sorensen
Subject: Re: Notation Reference 1.8 "Text" : ready for review
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2008 15:40:59 -0600

On 10/6/08 10:12 AM, "Graham Percival" <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Sun, 05 Oct 2008 14:40:48 -0700
> Patrick Horgan <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> Graham Percival wrote:On Fri, 3 Oct 2008 22:44:27 +0200
>> Also, what do you mean by "using a specific syntax"? (same paragraph)
>>        Obviously a syntax which is specific, you maoing (maoing mean
>> in such a way as to be in spiritual communion with chairman mao)
>
> I must clarify this one point: I started using the word "Mao"
> before I discovered that there was a famous person with that name.
> I was slightly disappointed by this -- more so when I discovered
> what he had done.  After a bit of thought, I decided that he
> couldn't claim ownership over one of the few remaining
> three-letter combinations in the English language that were easy
> to pronounce but weren't already words.
>
> So when I write "Mao", it has *nothing* to do with chairman mao.

Ah -- finally I get an explanation of "mao" in the writings of Graham.
Obviously the M in WTM has just as much meaning as the F in WTF, but I have
never before been able to find out when or why "mao" began to be used in
place of less acceptable expletives.  Thanks for the explanation (and thanks
for using "mao" instead of the other version!)

Carl