Re: Notation Reference 1.8 "Text" : ready for review

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Notation Reference 1.8 "Text" : ready for review
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2008 09:12:58 -0700

On Sun, 05 Oct 2008 14:40:48 -0700
Patrick Horgan <address@hidden> wrote:

> I think that I've learned the most from the online conversations
> between Graham and Valentin, and as a tribute to them, would like to
> give what to some may seem an overly obvious interpretation of the
> undercurrents in their communications.

I approve of your efforts, grasshopper.  They are not always
correct, but is not the journey more important than the
destination?

> Graham Percival wrote:On Fri, 3 Oct 2008 22:44:27 +0200
> Also, what do you mean by "using a specific syntax"? (same paragraph)
>        Obviously a syntax which is specific, you maoing (maoing mean
> in such a way as to be in spiritual communion with chairman mao)

I must clarify this one point: I started using the word "Mao"
before I discovered that there was a famous person with that name.
I was slightly disappointed by this -- more so when I discovered
what he had done.  After a bit of thought, I decided that he
couldn't claim ownership over one of the few remaining
three-letter combinations in the English language that were easy
to pronounce but weren't already words.

So when I write "Mao", it has *nothing* to do with chairman mao.

>> The word "this"
>> refers back to "a specific syntax", which doesn't tell the reader
>> anything.  I mean, what's a non-specific syntax?
>
> Ah, the master
> pauses to see if we pay attention.  The obvious answer is that it is
> a syntax which does not support the needs of the collective, but in a
> deeper and more spiritual, non-obvious sense, it is a syntax which is
> non-specific!  I hope I deserve your approval master.

Such syntaxes (syntae?) do indeed not support the *immediate* need
of the collective -- but there are many other needs.  Indeed, do
we not all require deep spiritual teaching?

This teaching points us to a greater understanding of
"non-specific syntax"; otherwise known as "metasyntactic"
variables.  For example,

<function-name> = #(define-music-function
    (arg1 arg2)
    (type1 type2)
)

This is clearly not specific syntax, but remains vital to our
deeper understanding of the Mysteries of LilyPond.

> I said "an example", not "an @example".
>    Or to put it in another way,
> If you want to know the taste of a pear, you must change the pear by
> eating it yourself. If you want to know the theory and methods of
> revolution, you must take part in revolution. All genuine knowledge
> originates in direct experience.--Mao Zedong

Very true.  This is why GDP has added so many more direct
examples, rather than describing code as text.

>> You don't need to quote stuff that you've done.  I know that I'm
>> right.  I really don't need the ego boost of having you tell me.  :)
>    Yes, the master shows us that the ego is nothing and we are all
> one in a cosmic all--or to put it in another way, the collective is
> everything and we are nothing except so far as we find our
> fulfillment in the achievements of the party.

Indeed -- from each according to his ability, to each according to
his need.  We may partake in the bounty of Open Source as much as
we need, and should contribute according to our ability (including
the ability to desire to contribute).

>> That's as far as I got before I got bored.
>
> A clear and obvious
> reference to T. Lobsang Rampa, who decried the western aversion of
> boredom as a fleeing from the meditative trance state.  The master is
> letting us know that it was time for him to meditate, and indeed it
> is time for all of us to meditate.

Most verily so -- if by "meditate", one means "eat breakfast".
For we cannot function properly without a proper diet consisting
of balanced meals[1].

Cheers,
- Graham

[1] My balanced diet for breakfast consists of pizza and coke,
followed by tea and chocolate-chip cookies.  All food groups
accounted for!