Re: WANTED: Design for documentation (Photoshop power users!)

From: Patrick McCarty
Subject: Re: WANTED: Design for documentation (Photoshop power users!)
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2008 18:20:29 -0700

On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 2:54 PM, Reinhold Kainhofer
<address@hidden> wrote:

> I thought about the different pros and cons of the colors, but I think the
> pros far outweight the cons. The pros are in particular:
> - -) You see which sections you have already visited, so you can either go to
> an
> already read section to re-read something or to a new section to avoid
> reading something twice
>
> The cons are:
> - -) Looks cluttered and makes the TOC harder to scan quickly
> - -) distracts from the main contents
>
> So, I'm all for setting underlining to off by default in the TOC sidebar
> (underlining while hovering is another story) and removing the visited colors
> there, too.

I agree with your reasons here.  But is it possible to underline links
while hovering and still honor user preferences (as in your case)?
Firefox's setting to not "underline links" only works when the
`text-decoration' rule is not specified.  I'm not sure what the best
solution (or compromise) is.

Thanks,
Patrick