Re: elegant compound time signatures

From: Hans Aberg
Subject: Re: elegant compound time signatures
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 13:14:07 +0200

On 20 Oct 2008, at 12:53, Graham Percival wrote:

The second problem is that LilyPond beamings varies quite a bit from
version to version, so sprinkling, so this solution may not be stable.

This shouldn't be a problem if you set up the overrides correctly,
and as long as there aren't any regression bugs.

I am not sure what is gong on. I used
  \time 11/16
  \set beatGrouping = #'(2 2 3 2 2)
  \set subdivideBeams = ##t
  #(override-auto-beam-setting '(end * * 11 16) 4 16)
  #(override-auto-beam-setting '(end * * 11 16) 7 16)
which worked fine in an earlier LilyPond 2.11.* version, but not know. I have experienced similar problems in the past.

Hans: at the risk of sounding grumpy, did you try compiling my
example?  I believe it does everything you want.

Yes, I think it was clear from my reply. I mentioned that although
writing in each measure
  \unset subdivideBeams
  \unset beatLength
does the job, it is a bit cumbersome.

Ah, that's what you meant by "It is though too complicated to wrte
stuff i each measure" [sic].  Sorry.

Yes. Think of writing a time in 4-time, and having to write that in in every measure. Though a fix, counterintuitive, as the fix belongs to the meter and not the measure.

  Hans