Re: What to do when \> and \< produce text

From: Brett Duncan
Subject: Re: What to do when \> and \< produce text
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 21:27:58 +1100

Valentin Villenave wrote:
Use the Source, Luke...

ly/spanners-init.ly, line 21:

cresc =  {
   #(ly:export (make-event-chord (list cr)))
   \set crescendoText = \markup { \italic "cresc." }
   \set crescendoSpanner = #'text
}

Okay, that makes things clearer (for me, at least).

I don't know why George used \cresc in the first place though.

A good question - maybe George can answer. However, it should be noted that in the Internals Reference under 1.1.17 CrescendoEvent it says:

Syntax: note\cr … note\rc
You can also use \<, \!, \cresc, and \endcresc. See the Notation Reference for details.

IMHO, that reads as though \cr, \< and \cresc are just synonyms for the same command. But clearly \cresc is not the same as \<. So the IR needs to be corrected.

Mats Bengtsson wrote:
The \cresc macro is defined in ly/spanners-init.ly and is preceded by a comment:

% STOP: junkme!

so it's clearly not well-supported It's certainly intended to generate a text style
crescendo "cresc.".
However, at the time the macro was implemented, any setting of crescendoText
was automatically
reverted after the next crescendo event (i.e. it worked like a \once \set ...)
so now that the crescendoText
property works just as all other properties, it would make more sense to let
the macro be implemented as

cresc =  {
 #(ly:export (make-event-chord (list cr)))
 \once \set crescendoText = \markup { \italic "cresc." }
 \once \set crescendoSpanner = #'text
}

if we want it to remain. In contrast to using the supported and documented
macro \crescTextCresc,
you don't get any dashed line when using \cresc. Note also that there is a
macro \endcresc that reverts
the settings done by \cresc (which wouldn't be needed if we used the above definition).

Given that what \cresc currently does can also be achieved with

  \override DynamicTextSpanner #'dash-period = #-1.0
  \crescTextCresc\

as clearly shown in Notation Reference 1.3.1, it there really a need to keep it? I can't say that I've seen many instances of the text "cresc." without the dashed line, but perhaps others have.

Brett