Re: What to do when \> and \< produce text

From: George_
Subject: Re: What to do when \> and \< produce text
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 11:59:48 -0700 (PDT)

Valentin Villenave wrote:

> cresc =  {
>    #(ly:export (make-event-chord (list cr)))
>    \set crescendoText = \markup { \italic "cresc." }
>    \set crescendoSpanner = #'text
> }
>
> I don't know why George used \cresc in the first place though.

Well, shouldn't the file be changed for future versions of Lilypond so that
the \cresc command produces the text crescendo, and the \< \! produces the
hairpin one? They are separate commands, and in my mind, it seems quite
logical for the /< to stand for a hairpin and the \cresc to stand for the
text crescendo. But I guess whatever happens to this, the same should happen
to the diminuendo command as well, *and* that it should be properly written
into the docs, otherwise, as Mats said, there will always be other people
asking questions about this.

And isn't it common to want to use a text crescendo sometimes?

In the Internal Reference pg 7, it says

> Begin or end a crescendo.
>   Syntax: note\cr . . . note\rc
>   You can also use \<, \!, \cresc, and \endcresc. See the Notation
> Reference for details.

And in the Notation Reference pg 77 it says

>     Crescendos and decrescendos can be engraved as textual markings
> instead of hairpins. Dashed
> lines are printed to indicate their extent. The built-in commands that
> enable these text modes
> are \crescTextCresc, \dimTextDecresc, \dimTextDecr, and \dimTextDim. The
> corresponding
> \crescHairpin and \dimHairpin commands will revert to hairpins again:
> \crescTextCresc
> c2\< d | e f\!
> \dimTextDecresc
> e2\> d | c b\!
> \crescHairpin
> c2\< d | e f\!
> \dimHairpin
> e2\> d\!

The exclusion of the command \cresc and \dim from this section, and the fact
that there are actual commands giving a text crescendo (\crescTextCresc,
\dimTextDecresc, \dimTextDecr, and \dimTextDim) sort of implies that \cresc
and \dim just give a text dynamics once, to distinguish from the above
commands where it turns the text dynamics into default until set otherwise.
To say the least, this is very confusing. As I said before (and I am even
more certain about this now) I think the \cresc and \dim should be changed
in future versions of Lilypond (especially with the stable release coming
up) to make them into one-time text dynamics. However, whether they are
changed or not, they should still be included into the Notation Reference
and it should explicitly note the exact function of these commands.

Thanks

George