Re: textSpanner bound-details on two lines

From: Eluze
Subject: Re: textSpanner bound-details on two lines
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2008 15:45:49 -0800 (PST)

hi Neil

many thanks for your answer and your solutions!

may i add my comments (which of course render my personal view which i
adapted when i encountered the problems i reported; i wouldn't exclude that
in another context i could have other wishes concerning default settings...)

Neil Puttock wrote:

>> 1. is it possible to keep the right-broken text inside the system
>
> #'right-broken #'anchor-alignment = #RIGHT

this works perfectly and i wonder why it is not the default!

>> 2. if there is only one note left, the spanner line stops on the first
>> line,
>> and the right-(broken-) text is printed - probably a bug
>
> This is a feature of line spanners, I'm afraid (they are deliberately
> suppressed after a line break if they end on the first note).
> Naturally, if you've set #'right-broken #'text, it will always be
> displayed before a line break.

i cannot find a reason to do this - what would you say about a volta spanner
that ends on the line before the break when there is still a note to play on
the next line…?
are there any workarounds?

>> 3. can the continuation after the break be aligned with the first note?
>
> #'left-broken #'end-on-note = ##t
>
> This is hidden away in the internals reference (it's only used for
> trill spanners).

perfect! (maybe a small wonderment why it is hidden?!)

>> 4. the end (right) mark seems to be centered on the last note - can i
>> push
>> it to the right?
>
> #'right #'padding = #-2
> #'right-broken #'padding = ##f (this has to be set otherwise 'right
> 'padding applies)

i could have thought of it, but with all the other problems i got confused…
now i use a padding of #-1 which fits my needs!

again - thanks for your reply and i am really glad to see that lilypond can
handle all these situations and requests!

-Eluze