Re: problems with learning lilypond

From: Johan Vromans
Subject: Re: problems with learning lilypond
Date: 22 Nov 2008 11:47:47 +0100

I must admit...

That I do share some feelings with John. I've been using LilyPond
infrequently for many years, and frequently for a year now. I often
get surprised by its behaviour, and I often have to puzzle how to
achieve certain results.

But...

The documentation has improved enormously. The current 2.11 version
can hardly be compared to the older versions. It is *great* and
getting even better.

And...

Support from lilypond-users is also *great*.

Moreover...

Every piece of music is different. Very often I am surprised that
LilyPond *can* actually achieve something wierd that I had in mind.
I'm pretty sure many of the 'user friendly' point-n-click tools are
quire limited, I have yet to find one of LP's limits[1].

Yes...

It takes some time and effort to learn LilyPond. It is worth it.

-- Johan

[1] Maybe how to add lyrics to a partcombined section?