Re: Crosses in tablature

From: Simon Bailey
Subject: Re: Crosses in tablature
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 22:32:50 +0100

hi,

On Dec 13, 2008, at 10:19 PM, Marius Andersen wrote:
if you're all ok with this updated version, i'll
add that to the LSR.

Please do -- this is tremendously helpful. Even if LilyPond's support for tablature is, according to the manual, "limited", I'm probably not the only guitar player who nevertheless thinks its output is far more beautiful than that of any other "tabs" program. Code like this extends that support!

hmm, is there any way to add 2.11.x compatible snippets to the LSR? atm, i can't add this snippet, as it doesn't seem to work with 2.10.x running on the lsr box.

<c' f'\harmonic>

This is intriguing. In tablature, I use \parenthesize to enclose grace notes in parentheses:

   <\parenthesize e\1>

which produces (0). But this doesn't leave any extra space for the parentheses, the way space is left for the brackets when using \harmonic. In other words, the fret number itself (the notehead) is printed on a white background, but the parentheses around it are printed on the tablature lines.

quick question to the scheme/guile gurus around here: where does the predicate is-harmonic in the standard tablatureFormat function come from? i tried grepping for it in the $lilypond-home/share/lilypond/scm folder and couldn't find it anywhere. I'm thinking my tablatureFormatter might probably be extended in almost exactly the same way as is-harmonic to also support formatting parenthesize in the same way (with white-blanked background).

regards,
sb