Re: Trying to figure out a beat grouping

From: Cameron Horsburgh
Subject: Re: Trying to figure out a beat grouping
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2009 22:57:18 +1100

On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 11:37:52PM -0000, Trevor Daniels wrote:

> Cameron Horsburgh wrote Thursday, March 19, 2009 10:28 AM
>>
>> I'm having trouble trying to modify the automatic beaming for a piece
>> I'm working on. This piece has many examples of this figure in 4/4
>> time:
>>
>> a8 a a a16 a
>>
>> I would like the beaming to be:
>>
>> a8[ a] a[ a16 a]
>>
>>  ___     _______
>> |   |   |   |___|
>> |   |   |   |   |
>> |   |   |   |   |
>> O   O   O   O   O
>>

>> but the default is
>>
>> a8[ a a a16 a]
>>
>>  _______________
>> |   |   |   |___|
>> |   |   |   |   |
>> |   |   |   |   |
>> O   O   O   O   O
>>

>> I can't figure out how to get my desired beaming. How do I tell the
>> beam engraver to look for semiquavers at the end of beat two to decide
>> whether or not to put a beam between between beats one and two?
>
> I can't see any way of achieving this using the
> beam-ending rules, I'm afraid.

I'm glad to see it---at least this confirms I've got my head around
the auto-beamng rules.

This is something of a limitation though. Here's a question for
everyone: what is the preferred beaming of the {a8 a a a16 a} figure?
I don't see the LilyPond default in the scores I play, but I don't see
many scores from good publishers either. If the default isn't the
preferred option should it be reported as a limitation/bug/feature
request?

--

Cameron Horsburgh

Blog: http://spiritcry.wordpress.com/