Re: lilypond-book setup for windows

From: MonAmiPierrot
Subject: Re: lilypond-book setup for windows
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2009 02:49:45 -0700 (PDT)

Hajo Dezelski wrote:

> Hello,
>
> thanks for the input.
>
> After some hours of working with latex and several editors on windows
> and mac I decided to take the easy road: OpenOffice with the
> OOoLilypond Macro. It works not always as I thought, but with time I
> will find some workarounds.

STOP!
Use LyX (www.lyx.org)
To have it work with lilypond-book is a little tweaky, but it's no harm if
you don't use complex packages, nomenclatures, bibliographies etc... but it
seems not to be  your case (most of all because you told us to use OOo which
is the zero degree of complexity for docs!).
Just edit the LyX doc (choose an adequate doc class) and put lilypond
snippets inside [LyX is a sort of editor of LaTeX)
Then, export to a LaTeX file, run lilypond-book on it and then run latex (or
pdflatex to have the result in pdf). The quality achieved can't even be
compared to OOo: just another galaxy.
All in a GREAT almost-WYSIWYG very fast and easy environment (well, for me
is much better than WYSIWYG: it's WYSIWYM cause Lyx shows you the doc
structure)
If you want order in your doc structure be afraid of WYSIWYG and M$Word-like
software, such as be afraid of Finale!!!

LyX can show plain LilyPond pdf output in it's working environment (without
the need of having it pre-compiled:just put your .ly file in a folder!)
inside the doc, but still can't process in real time lilypond-book snippets
AND you still have to do the tweak for watching the whole doc preview!!! So
you would need to "switch off" musical snippets to use normal, fast preview
of your document, but this is in no way hard: just ask me if you need.
About Lily editor: I use jEdit with LilyPondtool (linked to LyX!) and I
caouldn't imagine anything better, although I'm open to new solutions.

-----
Piero Faustini, PhD student
Dipartimento di Scienze Storiche
Sezione musicologia
Università di Ferrara

Main Software used:

- LyX 1.6.1 on WinXP sp3; EndNote & JabRef
- MikTex
- LaTeX class: Koma book
- Lilypond 2.12 for example excerpts
- BibLaTeX for bibliographies