Re: adding to the LSR

From: Jonathan Kulp
Subject: Re: adding to the LSR
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 11:24:46 -0500

Chip wrote:
There are plans to upgrade it to 2.12 but it hasn't happened yet. I don't understand all of the technical issues but one of the problems was discussed on a recent thread, which is that someone has to check all the snippets to make sure they compile under 2.12. I might be doing some of this soon but haven't started in earnest.

Jon
If you need some assistance let me know, I have some time available as I'm not working right now (yep, I'm one of the bazillions of unemployed).
--
Chip

Thanks for the offer, Chip. I've just finished a preliminary run through all of the snippets. I downloaded the tarball of the entire repo and ran them through the convert-ly script, then did a looping script that ran lilypond on each updated snippet using 2.12.2 and saved the terminal output for each in a text file.

The results were pretty good, really. About 95% of the snippets compiled and look the same as they did in 2.10. Two snippets didn't compile at all, but I've already taken care of one of them (adding-octaves-automatically) because I've had to fix that one on some of my own files before. The convert-ly script took the \octaves command as if it were an octave check instead of a user-defined macro. I've changed the \octaves command in the original LSR code to \makeOctaves, which will survive the convert-ly update intact.

If you'd like to have a go with a few, try fixing the "changing-the-font-to-smallcaps", which doesn't even work in 2.10 in the snippet currently in LSR. The font doesn't change at all.

Another one that doesn't work in 2.12 is "polymetric-section--synchronizing..."

It has a bunch of \InnerStaffGroup commands that must be obsolete because they're causing errors. Changing these to \StaffGroup makes it compile, but then the staffgroup loses the bracket and it doesn't look right. If you'd like to fiddle with that code until it works properly in 2.12 that'd be great. (the authors of the snippet are given as John Mandereau, Reinhold Kainhofer, but these guys usually have bigger fish to fry than snippets in the LSR :) )

Others:

"setting-control-points-of-slur-manually" compiles but the slur runs right through some of the notes. This doesn't happen in 2.10 but it does in 2.12.

"broken-crescendo-hairpin"--compiles but the hairpin doesn't break anymore

"positioning-segno-and-coda-without-line-break"--compiles but objects are colliding

There are probably more but I have to do some of my official work now. :)

Best,

Jon

--
Jonathan Kulp