Re: Petrucci-like spacing?

From: Carl D. Sorensen
Subject: Re: Petrucci-like spacing?
Date: Sun, 24 May 2009 18:13:06 -0600

On 5/24/09 8:56 AM, "Laura Conrad" <address@hidden> wrote:

> I think so.  There's a lot of stuff where modern transcribers typically
> halve or even quarter the note values, and I'd prefer not to but it's
> problematic with the normal lilypond  spacing. (One reason it probably
> became common is that the same is true of other printing based on 19th
> century engraving practices.)
>
> Whether it makes my website as beautiful as I'm hoping remains to be
> seen, but I'll let you know.
>
> You can see the spacing with Michael's layout on my blog entry for
> today: <http://laymusic.org/wordpress/?p=974>

Laura,

Here's my attempt to get the spacing you're looking for.  I've done it
manually, but if you like it, I think that I can write a music function
\petrucciSpacing{} that will generate it automatically.

What I've done is to multiply each note by a value necessary to make its
final duration equal a 1/4 note.

\relative c'' {
  \key f \major g1*1/4 bes1*1/4 a1*1/4 g1*1/4 d'1.*1/6 c4 bes4 c1*1/4
}

Does this seem at all promising?

Thanks,

Carl