Re: Improvisor lilypond support!?

From: Grammostola Rosea
Subject: Re: Improvisor lilypond support!?
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 23:09:14 +0200

Robert Keller wrote:

On Jun 10, 2009, at 4:05 AM, Grammostola Rosea wrote:

I tried to convert the midi file generated by Impro-Visor, by midi2lily and Rosegarden. But got some errors

Both results, check attachment

Here is the midi file:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=MSTCLK4J

\r

Hello,

I was able to open your summertime.mid file with 4 different apps: iTunes, Quicktime Player, Sibelius 5, Band-in-a-Box (all on MacOSx 10.5). Also, all of the many .mid files that play from the web (https://www.cs.hmc.edu/~keller/jazz/improvisor/Solos/) were generated through the same mechanism in Impro-Visor.

I tried to run Lilypond on my platform but was not successful. While it says "open a menu", there was no menu available. It just constantly displayed a text file, and was otherwise unresponsive.

Perhaps the .mid problems are with Lilypond rather than Impro-Visor.

Thanks for your reply.
The problem is not opening the midi file, but displaying the score (notes) exactly the same in Lilypond.

People say, converting from musicXML to Lilypond is more easy then converting midi, but Impro-visor doesn't have musicXML support right? Is it possible to add that?

About Lilypond. I've only experience with it on Linux, but many people use it on Mac too.

Lilypond is text based, so it doesn't have an GUI, all though there are GUI's like Musescore or Rosegarden for example. So Lilypond can't open midi files, but the software contains an little script tool midi2lily, which is able to convert midi to Lilypond score.

To make working with Lilypond more easy, there is Lilypondtool: http://lilypondtool.organum.hu/

Note there is an very nice documentation about Lilypond on the website.

Maybe it's good to subscribe to the Lilypond user mailing list, it's a great way to learn about the great possibilities of Lilypond and for support too.