Re: good rendering of PDF

From: -Eluze
Subject: Re: good rendering of PDF
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2009 04:01:32 -0700 (PDT)

Werner LEMBERG wrote:

> From time to time, users complain that the display of lilypond PDF
> files with acroread or xpdf looks awkward on screen.  In such cases, I
> strongly recommend to use ghostscript itself to view the PDF file, or
> a wrapper program like gv or gsview.
>
> Have a look at the attached image: the left part shows the rendering
> result of a piece (compiled with lilypond 2.13.1) with gv (at 25%
> scaling, using gs 8.64), and the right part is with acroread 8.1.5 (at
> 58.6% scaling).  What a difference.

this sounds quite interesting - yet a few questions or objections may arise

- the actual acrobat reader version on windows is 9.1.2
- how did you convert from pdf to png (is it a snapshot, a conversion with
another tool, something else?)
- what does it mean to have a scaling of 25% with gv against 58.6% with
acroread - shouldn't both come up with the same size when they have the same
scaling? (to me they both look the same size with different scaling)
- how does it compare on printed output?
- could you make the pdf or lilypond code public, so we could compare with
our own pdf viewers? on windows there are many more of them - also free!

thanks for initiating this discussion!