Re: Transpose for pattern sheets

From: Tim McNamara
Subject: Re: Transpose for pattern sheets
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 09:10:41 -0500

On Oct 21, 2009, at 4:13 AM, Peter Berlau wrote:

I have done writing done some patterns of my favorite sax players and
like to transpose this patterns to any key.

I found a solution but I am not sure if this is a elegant method, also
maybe it is more useful to make use of the enharmonics to make the
sheet more readable. Is there any (much) better soulution?

Looks like good code to me, the end result seems fine, but it also looks like several of the transpositions result in notes out of the range the saxophones.

Reading through it might be easier if you backcycle by fourths instead of ascending chromatically (e.g., from the keys of C to F to Bb to Eb, etc.) since this only changes one flat per key. It is traditional to practice this way; however, if you want to be playing Coltrane stuff, he often didn't move through the keys that way. There's little point in making things too easy when trying to master Coltrane's music.

I've always felt sorry for his accompanying musicians- Trane worked on those tunes at home for months- such as "Giant Steps"- and then sprung them on his colleagues in the studio, giving them only a short time to prepare before recording.