Re: Creating a comparison of several variants of unmettered chant

From: Alexander Kobel
Subject: Re: Creating a comparison of several variants of unmettered chant
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2010 16:33:07 +0100

Jiri Zurek (Prague) wrote:

Alexander Kobel wrote:
What's that thingy next to the very last note of this excerpt (the d' on "pro-mlu-VIL")? Is this just a random blast of ink, or some cool typographic detail missed so far?

It is a "nota caudata", common in chant (plainchant) notation, meaning
various things, like a liquescent syllable, or used as a note concluding
certain phrases of chant and so on. I learned to write these also in
Lilypond now, so it is really a cool typographic detail which I will use in
my edition of the Czech plainchant which I prepare now.

Oh, fancy, it's already supported!
How do you print these? I could not find any reference in the Notation Reference or the Snippet Repository (I looked in the "Ancient" categories). If one can do it, it should be mentioned somewhere for the next generations...

Cheers,
Alexander