Re: lilypond tool and MidiInput

From: David Santamauro
Subject: Re: lilypond tool and MidiInput
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2010 08:13:58 -0500

On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 21:43:51 -0700
Andrew Hawryluk <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 11:30 AM, David Santamauro
> <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> > So, 2 questions: 1) Is the source code still available? and; 2)
> > would anyone (Andrew) mind me fiddling with it?
>
> Hi David, you're very welcome!
>
> 1) Yes, the link should still work (I just checked it), but I have
> attached the file for you just in case.

Thanks.

> 2) I certainly don't mind your fiddling with it. Much of the
> functionality has been absorbed into LilyPondTool, an extension to
> jEdit written by Bertalan Fodor. You may want to give his package a
> try before you do much work, because his is much more widely used and
> better maintained. It is not JACK aware either, but you might as well
> try them both first. That said, in LilyPondTool the MIDI input is
> integrated into the virtual keyboard, which also changes the computer
> keyboard into a specialized music entry tool. I can see how this could
> be very efficient after some practice, but so far I still prefer the
> light-weight approach that leaves me free to type any additional
> elements (e.g. markups) as I enter music sequentially.

Yes, yes, the LilyPondTool. I found that functionality after writing my
initial email, apologies for not investigating further before firing
off the original email.

I have to say, regarding ease of input, this combination of jedit and
lilypondtool is bringing me closer to dropping my last dependency on
an old win16 notation editor (capella, in case anyone is interested).
I never upgraded it because it did _exactly_ what I needed: easy data
entry, playback (albeit rudimentary) and a decent (albeit not perfect)
final print.

What is the status (if any) of LilyPondTool MIDI output? Is there any
work going on in that direction? I'm very interested in accurate midi
representation of the written page and have invested much time in
understanding the subtle, but yet convincing effects midi controllers
have on performance. A fusion of the scoring power of lilypond with
an accurate midi representation would be, for me, the ultimate tool for
productivity.

Sorry, for rambling...

thanks
David