Eyeglasses (was Re: -dbackend=svg ... warning: missing stencil expressio

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Eyeglasses (was Re: -dbackend=svg ... warning: missing stencil expression `embedded-ps')
Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2010 07:43:23 -0600

On 6/6/10 7:36 AM, "Neil Puttock" <address@hidden> wrote:

> 2010/6/4 Patrick McCarty <address@hidden>:
>
>> Another option is to use the 'path routine.  This isn't documented yet
>> and is a little cumbersome to use, but you can find an example that
>> uses 'path in this snippet:
>>
>>  http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=623
>
> I see \eyeglasses uses make-postscript-markup; I guess it should be
> rewritten using 'path (or ideally, implemented as a glyph).
> Unfortunately it uses `arc' to create the lenses, which will be a pain
> to approximate using curveto (the usual suggestion being four bezier
> quadrants as a fair approximation. :)

I'd be happy to add it as a glyph.  I've got enough experience in the fonts
now with my work on shape notes that it wouldn't take long.

However, I think there's some value in having something in the distribution
that uses 'path, because that's an easy way for users to add new shapes.

So I'd like to propose that we have the task of changing \eyeglasses from
make-postscript-markup to 'path be a Frog task.

Any takers?

Thanks,

Carl