Re: Mixed Time Signatures: Non regular alternantion between 5/8 and 8/8

From: David Bobroff
Subject: Re: Mixed Time Signatures: Non regular alternantion between 5/8 and 8/8
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2010 09:40:14 +0000

 On 8/22/2010 9:32 AM, fauban wrote:
Dear Lilypond community:
I am typesetting a piece in two sections:
The first one consists of 5/8 and 8/8 bars. Their alternaton does not follow
any pattern.
Then, the next section is always in 9/8.

How can I engrave one of those mixed time signatures (that is, 5/8 8/8)?
(Here is an example from Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_signature#Mixed_meters , you must scroll
down a bit, until you see the 3/4 6/8 signature).

Thank you very much!

Are you sure that you want to display a 5/8 8/8 time signature? In the example you linked to the mix is 6/8 3/4 which are simply two different ways of organizing the same time value in each measure. You're talking about 5/8 and 8/8 which are not interchangeable time values. Assuming that in your mixed 5/8 8/8 section the 8th note pulse remains constant it would be misleading, confusing and annoying to read. I would recommend changing the time signature when it is appropriate to do so.

-David