Re: How do I enter the chord "B(add4)/G#"?

From: David Raleigh Arnold
Subject: Re: How do I enter the chord "B(add4)/G#"?
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2010 14:19:53 -0400

On Wednesday 01 September 2010 23:59:23 John Zaitseff wrote:
> A very quick and simple question that has me stumped: How do I enter
> the chord "B(add4)/G#" in LilyPond's chord mode?  I am trying to
> transcribe that very chord in a song we have...
>
> I am quite adept at using LilyPond, but my knowledge of music theory
> is virtually nil.  I would have thought "b:5.4/gis" would do the
> trick, but that gives "B(sus4/add3)/G#" as output---and I don't know
> if that is the same as "B(add4)/G#"!

> that gives "B(sus4/add3)/G#" as output---and I don't know if that is
the
> same as "B(add4)/G#"!

It is, but Bsus4 or B(sus4) or even B4 would indicate that
there was no 3rd (d#) in the chord, and add4 indicates that
both "e" and "d#" are present. If it were spelled as an 11th,
a jazz musician would put the 7th (a) in it, and I don't think
you want that.

Do chord names as markup text attached to "s" rests. Why put
yourself through this?

IMO it is a good idea to make notes lower case e.g.: B(add4)/g#
especially in a chord part with slashes.

If the tune is jazz, G#m7(#5) would be the name for <g# f# b dx>
(dx=e) but names should depend on the style of music don't you think?
Regards, daveA

--
For beginners: very easy guitar music, solos, duets, exercises. Early
intermediate guitar solos. One best scale set for all guitarists.