Re: Chords with unequal durations

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Chords with unequal durations
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 16:59:17 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: "Neil Puttock" <address@hidden>
To: "Carl Sorensen" <address@hidden>
Cc: "Phil Holmes" <address@hidden>; "Nick Payne" <address@hidden>; <address@hidden>
Sent: Monday, September 13, 2010 4:48 PM

On 13 September 2010 16:05, Carl Sorensen <address@hidden> wrote:

> I don't believe it's a bug. The command says to merge differently headed
> notes. Merging a half note and a quarter note should result in a filled > in
> note; it's the union of both notes.

That's an illegal merge, since it obscures the duration of the minim.

I believe this is a bug, but only of the documentation kind.  Setting
'ignore-collision doesn't mean `Remove the annoying message so my
score compiles cleanly'; it switches off automatic collision
resolution between note columns.  In Nick's example, setting
'ignore-collision allows the noteheads to be stuck on top of each
other with no regard for the individual durations: hence the quaver
obscures the minim.  This means the merge commands are irrelevant,
since the merging code never gets called.

Cheers,
Neil

I'd guessed it was something of that sort. Since the warning about clashing note columns is often seen, and the note-columns can be clashed deliberately (e.g. to get the same note in 2 voices for slurs, etc.) is it worth considering a command that simply turns the warning off?

--
Phil Holmes